Understanding the machinery of government helps managers to work more effectively within the federal system. This course explores how government works with the help of guest speakers and the analysis of current legislation. Participants will have the opportunity to learn what actually happens behind the scenes in the government system. [G203]
- roles of departments and central agencies and how they work together
- key players in the government process inside and outside the public service
- communication within the federal government (between Ottawa and the regions)
- communication with outside stakeholders (lobbyists and pressure groups)
- the complex factors that influence decisions
This activity has been designed for public servants, supervisors, managers and senior managers in the Public Service of Canada.
Learning Community: Public Servants, Supervisors, Managers, Senior Managers
Key Leadership Competency: Management Excellence: Action Management: Government Decision Making
Schedule and Registration
Make your selection from the list of offerings and press "Register". Please ensure that you have the following information on hand: your MyAccount login name and password and the IS reference code required for billing (provided by your administrative assistant). If you do not have a MyAccount, you can sign up by filling out the online MyAccount Profile Creation Form. To advise the School of special needs, please contact the Client Contact Centre:
- Toll-free: 1-866-703-9598
- NCR: 819-953-5400
- TTY: Please call us at 1-866-703-9598 using your relay service provider.
Online registration through your MyAccount is the preferred method, but the following options are also available: