Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples involves looking back at our history from an Indigenous perspective. This online self-paced course provides an overview of the historical relationship between Indigenous Peoples and the Government of Canada, from first contact to the present-day focus on rebuilding this foundational relationship. Participants will benefit from a broader understanding of the impacts of government decisions on Indigenous Peoples and Indigenous communities.
- identifying the key legislation within the Canadian political framework
- assessing the impacts of Indian Residential Schools, the Sixties Scoop and the child welfare system
- understanding the sacred connection to land in treaties and agreements
- recognizing the rights of Indigenous Peoples
- building a new relationship